An advantage I have of being an elementary school teacher is seeing first-hand what kids think about Thanksgiving. This past week as I walked down the halls of the school I work at, I stopped and looked at the kids artwork and thoughts about Thanksgiving. They never fail to bring a smile to my face.
What they are thankful for:
- Their families
- Their homes
- Grandma’s cooking
- Macaroni and Cheese
- Deodorant. (I figured this one was listed due to having an older sibling who finally discovered it.)
Then there was a bulletin board where the kids wrote down how to catch a turkey. Many of them were so cute and some were very funny. The one that caught my eye went like this:
- First get a cage and throw some birdseed in it.
- Then get a girl turkey and put her in the cage.
- Since boys can’t resist girls and food, the boy turkey will see the girl turkey and smell the food and will run into the cage.
- Hurry and shut the door.
- Last take them out to the forest and set them free.
When you ask kids how their mom’s make a turkey you get all kinds of crazy answers. The top list of ingredients are:
- Cocoa Puffs
- A whole loaf of bread
- Cheese and crackers
- Snickers candy bars
Most agreed that the turkey should be “thrown into the oven” then baked for ten hours.
I love the honesty and creativity that kids have! May all of you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving!